Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Knocks a Super Mommy Down??

So... so far I have had positive blogs. Ranting and raving energy, decisions, planning, good health etc. But remember I told you they can't all be sunshine and flowers... WHAT KNOCKS A SUPER MOMMY DOWN??

Illness! And with three kids its bound to find its way in... no matter how nutritionally sound your diet is, how in tune you are with your immune system and no matter how pro active you are with your health. It happens. But it always seems like when it rains it pours and THIS IS a struggle for me. Accepting the things that I cannot change, and dealing with them. I can be dog tired and drag myself out for AM cardio, I can have a crazy day at work and get to the gym late and force myself to focus on my workout. I can be craving salty crunchy foods and choose foods that help me achieve my goals instead. BUT if my kids get sick I drop everything to take care of them, and if I get really ill I have to adhere to doctors orders somewhat.

I mean I can't say that I have horrible health, or that we're always sick, cause we're not. We have been very blessed considering. I mean our boys were preemies with very compromised immune systems and knock on wood they have never even had ear infections. I've made it through winters without more than one or two doctors visits, which with three kids is pretty good. But like I said when it rains it pours.

It's not horrible it's just when you have a set plan of action that involves certain progressions with no missed workouts, or following nutrition, it is frustrating to say the least when things happen that are out of your control. I've learned to pick up the pieces and just move forward, but it takes some adjusting your attitude when you are forced to slow down from illness. Prior to aging slightly (yes I'm still young) and my family growing, this NEVER happened to me. Year after year and show after show I never had a set back at all. Well time and life takes a toll and little things happen. Like I said it's pretty minor, but enough to alter my plans that it bothers me.

The beginning of this year, I had a small issue with a cyst bursting. It was actually a small nuisance of an issue, but very painful and until diagnosed properly was thought to be appendicitis among other things. So obviously I was instructed to take some time off the gym until that was resolved. Then back in strong for a few months, and was met with a week of my recent allergy act up and sinus infection... again that was pretty minor, a quick fix, but altered about a half of a week of training.

And NOW about three weeks later the STOMACH BUG!!! Uggg this is the worse! And in a family of five it takes time to make it's way through the family. I don't know what's worse actually vomiting until you can't move, or watching your children do it and feeling helpless :(. And then the loads and loads of laundry and cleaning that follows. Ever tried to teach a three year old how to direct his vomit into a bucket or a toilet?

My point is in 08 it was a series like this that eventually made me throw in the towel, I just could not handle it anymore. I felt like every time we got better something else came and knocked us down. But now I've learned you just live with it... you miss work, you just get back in and prove your work ethic that much more, when you're a hard worker no one really questions it like you think they would. You miss the gym and lose some weight you just get back in and hit it harder. Life is full of ups and downs and illness is one of those things sometimes we can't control. I have taken a vow to REFUSE to let it get me down, I always think it could be worse.

But in all reality, this is where I struggled with competing... in a 12 week period if I get knocked off track twice due to illness, am I standing next to someone who has never been knocked off track. Someone who doesn't have a family to take care of, someone who can plan their day according to no one but themselves. This use to mess with my head. You know the old saying if you don't give 110% there is someone else who will. This use to really get me down... but now I've reached that point in my life where MY ALL is different from someone else's all, and I'm not in this to worry about what the person next to me is doing. As long as I KNOW I'm doing MY ALL that's all that matters! This is a personal accomplishment! And if I do get back on stage I hope to INSTILL this mentality into my prep. Competition is a beautiful thing, but getting wrapped up in it, is not.

So the moral of my blog take advantage of health, because being sick, even if only for a few days is NOT FUN! I did get in for an hour of cardio this morning and some posing practice with a girlfriend competing next weekend at the Jay Cutler Classic in Boston, but I came home to more sickness and not feeling so great myself. The good thing about stomach bugs is they pass quickly, so lets hope and pray by Tuesday ish we're all ready to rock in the Villers Household!

2 comments:

  1. Aww Steph! I didn't know you were still feeling sick! Hang in there girl...and hopefully you'll make it to the Jay Cutler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks girl! I will be there sick or not lol

    ReplyDelete